Thursday, January 3, 2008

A Rubberman's Worst Nightmare


Latex - its best qualities are also its worst. On New Year's Day I decided to lube up and squirm into the STR catsuit for an extended wearing session, one more time before the post-holiday work week started. Things were going fine until about two hours in. I was bending over slightly while standing and all of a sudden - snap! - a rush of cold air on my ass and I knew immediately what had happened. The latex broke along the vertical seam just above the rear zipper seam, ran laterally along the zipper and then fanned out across my left ass cheek. I was so sad. I've had this suit barely over a month and it has quickly become my favorite - due to its incomparable fit and resulting comfort. I emailed STR yesterday with pictures, and they are going to do a repair on it -- I have to get it packaged and sent off ASAP.

I had really hoped to have this catsuit for the Mr. Leather Calgary IML Fundraiser on January 26th, but the chances of that are next to nil. I'm not really sure what happened. I think it's just another unfortunate situation - lube collecting in certain areas and moving out of others, leaving more friction in its wake than a slick surface to distribute the tension on. I thought it was a strange place for the initial tear to start -- I would've expected the inner crotch or lower butt to go first as it has on some of my moulded goods in the past since that seems to be the worst place for strain on the latex.

I honestly wasn't doing anything active -- I would've felt worse since it would have been my fault. I think it was an unfortunate mix of friction, tension and possibly a weak spot in the latex sheet that was used to make the suit.

Anyways, I know STR will do a fantastic job repairing and strengthening things. Hopefully I'll have it back in time for some parties in February. In the meantime, I have a lot more latex to bide my time in....I'm almost thinking of getting some rubber sheets in order to have a friction-free playing surface.....I don't think they come cheap though!

As I mature in my fetish and learn more about how to extend the life of my latex I find better ways to handle, care, and play in it as well as purchase better latex products and care products. It's all in the evolution, I guess. Latex breaks occasionally - it's an unfortunate consequence of enjoying such a pliable and resilient yet fragile material. If the maintenance, costs, and psychological trauma of a tear are all too much to handle for you, you should probably get into lycra or leather instead! :-)

On top of all this, we've had yet another apparent hard disk crash on the home computer in the past few days. Luckily I've been backing stuff up in earnest with the most recent backup occurring over the holidays, but unfortunately I will have to wait another week until back online at home. Our tech guy that does house calls isn't back from vacation until next week so for the time being, I'm writing these posts from my work computer.

No comments: