Monday, November 16, 2015

Stronger Together


This was the brainchild of Brian 'Bolt' Donner and isbeing sold as a fundraiser to support Tri-State and affiliated charities. Tri-State represents the states of Ohio, Indiana and Kentucky and works to support, connect and educate.

His quote:
And here is the final poster! Apologies about the watermark, but it's necessary for now.
https://squareup.com/market/brainybrawny/stronger-together-poster
So here's the backstory on this: I wanted to do something as a last thank you to Tri-State, the region and all the people, organizations and groups that have supported me this year. I've never been a big fan of the "collection plate" method of fundraising when you have options to make something that people can have while also supporting good causes. So I've designed dog tags, pins, shirts, etc. through this year and they've all done pretty well. And, since I love both comics and leather, I wanted to sort of share that with people.
I really wanted to combine two of my loves: comics and leather. So I commissioned this poster to be done as a way to give back something to the community that has given me so much this year. All proceeds, after production costs, will go support great causes and organizations in the region.
Comics were what started me drawing and taking art seriously. They gave me a safe space to explore the male form, and stories that made me feel powerful as an outcast, and characters that gave me ideals about justice, responsibility, and teamwork. I honestly believe that everyone has the power to make the world a better place, if they chose to. And it's the things that make us different that make us special, and that no matter who we are, what we like, or what we do, that we are stronger together. 
A few notes. The building is Cincinnati Union Terminal, which is what the Hall of Justice was modeled after. The time on the clock is 8:15pm so that in military time it's 20:15. The three figures represent the three titles of TriState. No I didn't model for any of them. Yes, the bolt is a nod to my Pup name. 
A big thanks to Stephen Sadowski (pencils and ink) and Shane Rooks (color) for your amazing work on this!
I'll have these available during Tri-State Weekend in Cincinnati for $20, if you want to buy or do a pick up.
I really really REALLY like this poster! It's such Stephen Sadowski style...if you recall, he's our luckily local professional illustrator who has done the Rubbout 21, 24 and 25 posters. I'm happy to say that Stephen is saving one of these ones for me as well! :-D

https://squareup.com/market/brainybrawny/stronger-together-poster 

No comments: