Thursday, March 19, 2009

Super-psychology


A few weeks ago, Billy Crudup was on The Daily Show talking about his role in "The Watchmen". They got talking about the psyche of superheroes since the characters in "The Watchmen" are rather unconventional in the traditional sense of what a superhero is. He called superheroes a group of "psychopaths, sycophants, and fetishists".

I wanted to expand on that idea since it intrigued me. After Googling, I was surprised to discover that there is actually quite a bit of literature written on the subject of superhero psychology (moreso on the social psychology of people that creates the necessity for superhero imagery). I will do more research, hopefully I can generate an entry on the subject!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I teach a course on the Graphic Novel as Lit & Rhetorical Vehicle, at UNC Charlotte. What would you like to know, or more precisely, what do ya' wanna' know? Or, can I point you in any particular direction?

~ Andrew

Unknown said...

I guess I want to know if there is any generalizations in the analysis of superhero personality. Are there any behaviors, traits, quirks that are consistent among those that have a superpower and decide to use their power and influence for the greater good? What would be the differences between those that decide to use their gifts for good versus those that would use their gifts for evil or personal gain?