Sunday, November 19, 2006

My life as a danseur


A life aspiration of mine was always to be a ballet dancer. I realize now that I probably don't have and never had the genetics for it (ie. no flexibility and the hip sockets of an 80 year old man), however I still fantasize of being able to leap through the air effortlessly and be able to tell a story only by the movements of my body. The technique would also teach a lot of discipline, and, oh yeah, male ballet dancers look absolutely stunning in tights! It was something that I always dreamed of doing.


I have become a expert professional ballet clothing consultant though...

Over the years, I have tried many different deniers/gauges of lycra, different compositions with nylon, cotton and polyester, and different sewing patterns. In my opinion, the most comfortable, shape-holding, best designed and cut nylon-lycra out there is the milliskin used by Marilyn Stevens in her designs for men's ballet tights and unitards (under the M.Stevens Dancewear logo). Some of the Baltogs stuff is okay too and the Mirella Tactel unitards are pretty sweet. I've never had the chance to try out some of the European stuff like Repetto, Wear Moi or Porselli.

No comments: