Friday, September 28, 2012

Folsom Post-analysis

I got back from Folsom on Tuesday, but surprise, surprise, I ended up with flu symptoms halfway through the trip and had to curtail my activities quite a bit. Luckily I didn't feel full-blown sick until Monday morning and spent most of this week sleeping, and I was able to take in most of the fun activities going on on the weekend.

We went to the Recon Full Fetish Party on Friday at Sound Factory. It was a lot of fun, well attended, but not outrageously packed as the Saturday Magnitude party at the same venue tends to be, so there really weren't any lineups or claustrophobic moments. I met new people had a lot of fun and got to perve out in rubber. I was impressed to see a LOT of latex at the party.

I woke up Saturday lacking energy and feeling listless. It took me most of the day to catch my bearings, the crowds at Mr. S were insane in the afternoon so I spent as little time there as possible and held off my purchases until Monday when I knew no one would be in the store (alas, neither was any of the inventory). The Rubber Men of San Francisco Bay Conversion Party started at 17:00 and Rick had asked me to help out with the performance so we had a quick rehearsal at 15:30 and I was back around 18:00. It was very busy though there were a lot of cotton men there, obviously oblivious to the fact there was a rubber party going on, but we had fun anyways. The performance was fun, with Collin Wood, Mr. Midwest Rubber 2012 being 'converted' by Rick and I into a rubberman. This included a lot of black liquid latex which was administered on a latex hood over his head, then we ripped off his painter's smock to reveal a black catsuit. I ended getting some splashback on my white suit from the spray, however later on a volunteer came up for a full-body painting, which resulted in black liquid latex getting splattered everywhere. Rick must've done a good cleanup because most traces of it were gone by Monday when I was in Powerhouse next, however I know a lot of personal items got covered too, and I'm not so sure what happened there.

I'm not sure why RMSF uses Powerhouse for the party. They might have a good relationship, but I find the venue way too small for everything that's going on and personally I find it kinda gross, sanitation-wise. Do all the gay bars in SOMA smell like old urine and draft or is it just me? Are there any 'nice' bars in SF?

The RMSF were doing a flag processional to the Center for Sex and Culture where they dedicated the original Rubber Pride Flag to the SF Bay Area Leather Alliance to become part of the colors for the Leather Community. I had to bolt to C's birthday party at 8pm and was unable to attend. C's 40th birthday party was a lot of fun and while everyone else headed to Magnitude after the party I headed back to the hotel to crash. Apparently this was the right thing to do because I felt human in the morning and I heard later that Magnitude was what I expected it to be: overcapacity, frustrating, and unwhelming for the price. I'm glad I decided not to go; I had been two years ago and 'meh'ed about it then, though I met some nice guys there I still talk with.

Sunday was the Street Fair which is always a highlight of the weekend. We had a lot of fun traipsing and squeezing through the crowds, running into friends, checking out booths. We didn't get there until pretty late around 2pm because freaking parking and traffic took a good hour. We actually ran out of time to see everything we wanted to see, but that's the way it was. It was a beautiful afternoon and the crowds were huge, energetic, and bizarre...perfect!

We decided to go to the Deviants dance party Sunday night and this did not disappoint. I haven't danced so much in a long time! Initially there were two indoor dance rooms and one outdoor one. The crowd was pretty sloppy at the start since many would've come straight from the street fair, but by the end things had sorta become gay and slutty again :)

This party was $30 compared to Real Bad 3 which was $100 and I'm sure I had as much fun or more at Deviants than I would have at the other one. Isn't everyone simply getting a little sketchy and unattractive by Sunday of a fetish weekend?!!?!? ;)

It was a late-ending night, and I woke up Monday morning feeling deathly ill. Whatever I'd been fighting off all weekend was finally starting to break my defenses. The day consisted of Mr. S Shopping, a job interview, C getting a P.A. and Y getting his enlarged. Dinner in SOMA and I was in bed by 10pm.

So, this is the third fetish weekend in a row that I've ended up with the flu. Certainly the initial late nights have something to do with it; but I do that at home all the time. Maybe also the change in diet, patterns of sleep, air travel and energy levels in the days leading up to travel have something to do with it. All I know is that after what I've had to endure after MIR last year, WCR this spring and now Folsom, I need to approach MIR 2013 in five week's time much differently or this shit is going to happen again. Wish me luck trying to figure this all out.

Now Mr. P is sick; I was starting to feel human again yesterday. Thank god one of us is usually up when the other one is down, lord help us if we both crash and burn at the same time :(

No comments: