Wednesday, December 23, 2009

Penance

It is disturbing how this year (and decade) has been ending on such a sour note for so many people. My partner M was admitted into the hospital yesterday and will be spending Christmas there. I've been scrambling over the past 24 hours to make the appropriate changes and cancellations to our holiday plans. I left the hospital yesterday evening and was running to our apartments picking stuff up and dropping stuff off when I ran into our friends D and I.

I went out for a quick bit of sushi with them and gave them the update on what has been going on. They had several incredibly disturbing stories from the weekend they had to share as well. D is convinced that The Higher Power is kicking us all in the ass right now as penance for our excess, selfishness, and lack of stewardship over the past ten years. I can only hope that we will act more mature in the next ten and 2019 ends on a higher note.

If you are having a blue Christmas, stay positive and appreciate the wonderful things in you have in your life. They are fragile and precious; just realize how things can flip topsy-turvy on you in a moment and those things can be gone. Nothing is more important than family and friends. Let them know at this time how special and impactful they are on your life. Appreciate all that you've accomplished and the things you've been able to do and experience that so many other people in the world have never nor ever will have the opportunity to do, see and feel. We're so very blessed in the developed world and most of the time don't even stop to marvel at how bloody lucky we are that we were born to the right people at the right place at the right time.

Please say a prayer for my M. I love him so much and my only wish for Christmas is for him to get better soon and come home.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Reid,
I'm sorry to about M,I'm not religeous,but I will say a prayer for him tonight.
It'd be nice for you and him to be able to spend Christmas at home.
regards to both of you,
Duncanxx

Jim said...

Wishing all good things for you and M....especially a speedy and complete recovery for M. I respectfully disagree with D...the Higher Power wants the best for us...the higher power is like etiquette, a guideline there to help but never there to be punitive or make us feel bad.

mann007 said...

My thoughs are with you. I hope everything gets better in the new year.

Love

Unknown said...

Thanks for your wishes guys. Having M home soon would be the best Xmas present of all! All the best to you and yours during the holiday season.