Wednesday, November 26, 2008

What's a Zune?

Get your head out of the gutter!

How come no one's heard of iPod's nemesis? Well - it's not really a challenger. I think Microsoft's Zune has maybe 7% market share compared to Apple's 60-70% for iPod, but this thing works best for my needs; plus whether I like it or not, I'm inexorably tied to Microsoft for my personal computer needs in addition to my paycheck. Talk about being committed to a single stream....

I bought a 120GB player yesterday...I lost my old flash MP3 player a few months ago (damn tiny machines; isn't it inevitable that it would eventually disappear?)

Another early Xmas present to myself...well, the return of the gift from my brother and sister-in-law helped out in the payment for the player too -- we had family Xmas two weeks ago; it's complicated, don't ask.

Anyways, most of you don't know that I'm a music freak as much as a rubber one -- tens of thousands of songs catalogued on CDs and DVDs in addition to the CD and cassette collection (I'm old, okay?). I've been listening to music in MP3 format for at least 10 years now. The collection's grown somewhat over the years.

Finally, a single point to collate my entire collection! Marvellous! Now I need a week to re-load all the catalogued music and sync it onto the player...and it's quite possible a few rubber videos will find their way onto the playlist too, if there's any room left after the music gets loaded.

2 comments:

Patrick said...

Hey Reid,

Congrats! My old Dell DJ broke down a few months ago and I got an Apple iPod (for a day - hated it and it crashed) and went out and got a Zune 120. Haven't looked back! Love it! Love it! Love it!

There are a few little gotchas with the unit, so email me if you have any questions.

Also, take a look at the Kicker ZK500: http://shop.kicker.com/zKICK/Default.aspx?gclid=CLCiodvClpcCFQMnGgod2kyP_A

This is one beautiful docking unit. I have that in the office.

Pat

Unknown said...

Hey Pat

I had a Rio up until a few months ago...it disappeared without a trace. It's unbelievable that the prices have come down so much since I bought that thing. I've already loaded 15,000 dance remixes (and a few rubber videos!) with still 50MB or so to spare. It's going to be a bit work to get everything catalogued and playlists worked out, but I have the thing syncing to two machines with two different collections...one of them was only temporary since the home PC is no longer read or writing CDs now, only DVDs...hmmm.....I've figured out now how best to have the music catalogued into albums but once the initial effort to get everything is done, it's clear sailing!

There are some functions I wish the software had in addition to the machine but hopefully some of that will be resolved as Microsoft works out more kinks.

Thanks for the links; I have a few online tutorials to read through now.....