Friday, January 11, 2013

Dressing and Polishing

Two of my favorite topics! The best stuff to use to dress and polish your latex. For those of us who particularly love it skintight, this is an even more poignant discussion. A friend recently asked me questions regarding these subjects, I'd like to share our discussion here.

Reid,

have you posted in any of your blogs regarding polishing gear to get so shiny and looking really hot?

I've never read anywhere on how to do it or what products to use?

Hi!

I really like Vivishine...I usually try to remember to buy a bottle of it whenever I buy some rubber from Europe. The local gay store carries a limited amount of rubber and have Vivishine in stock from time to time. The same company used to make this great dressing aid called Vividress but it seems a lot harder to find. I stopped using talc to get into my rubber a few years ago and now use silicone-based lube exclusively. Right now I'm using Gun Oil, which I know a lot of guys use but it is sort of expensive. You can make a little go a long way though, I just suck it up and buy the huge $100 bottle of it and it lasts a year. I know some guys are experimenting with medical-grade silicone oil and mixing it with other things with varied results. It can be quite a bit cheaper.

Back to polishing. Vivishine works really well, but you have to plan ahead and wash your rubber in it far enough in advance to let it dry. It nicely conditions the rubber, and also lubes it up slightly on the inside in addition to looking completely slick on the outside. I will use a product like Gun Oil as a touch up at the club or whatever after that point. Basically any silicone-based lube will work as a polish AND dressing aid, I've used ID and Pjur in the past but some have a lot more longevity than others. I don't really find the spray polished to work very well and prefer the ones that you apply by hand. It's also a great icebreaker to ask a guy to help you polish up, both of you getting lubey together! At our rubber events, having 'shine boys' do the polishing is a popular volunteer position, plus the attendees love it.

I've also heard some guys use Armour All and similar products but I wouldn't recommend it as they are optimized for car vinyl, plastic, etc and possibly not for latex, but they seem to be happy with it. I've also heard that silicone lube affects the integrity of the glue used to glue seams in rubber clothing together but I have no evidence to substantiate that claim. It seems that the longevity of latex is most effected by how well it is cleaned and how it is stored more than anything.

I recommend you get a profile on Fetlife; even though it is generally straight fetish, the discussion boards have TONS of great information and I've met lots of interesting people (and gay guys) on Fetlife as well. For informational purposes, I don't think there is a better site out there.

Reid

2 comments:

Mckeowndj said...

Hey Reid,

Thanks for the advise and recommendation to vivishine.
I used it yesterday for the first time to only be blown away by how easily and effectively the gear gleans and shines up. Not only that but no more talk powder will ever be required as all my gear is now simply slides right on with ease and feels fantastic

kleinermundvoll said...

Hu guys,

I'd strongly disadvice you from using Armour All products for polishing your gear. There are some Armour All products for keeping the tyres of your car shiny and they actually work on rubber gear as well, BUT these products contain lots of aggressive chemical substances that have never been approved for skin contact! The packaging of these products clearly says "wash thoroughly on skin or eye contact".

I used to use pjur CULT Shining Spray (in the large aerosol can, not the Ultra Shine pump pray) which is very easy to apply and gives a perfect and long lasting shine. Unfortunately it is very hard to find and I haven't seen it in online stores for years. I think they no longer produce it for some reason?!?
Anyway, nowadays I use the pjur CULT dressing aid & conditioner, which does the trick as well but the shine doesn't last as long as with the aerosol can. By the way, forget the pjur CULT Ultra Shine pump spray. That spray lasts for exactly 5 minutes ...

The easiest way to keep your rubber gear in a good condition is to wash it in the bath tub and giving a few drops of medical silicone oil type 350 in the water. Then you just have to pull your gear through the water and put it on a hanger for drying. That's it.

The big disadvantage of all silicone oil products is that it leaves your home in a complete slippy mess. Your floor and bath tub need a good clean afterwards, but that's the price you have to pay.