Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Vancouver Pride 2010

Vancouver Pride festivities took place for several weeks running up to the Pride Parade on Sunday, August 1.  The party officially started with the Playland Gay Day on July 17.  The parade has been rapidly growing in popularity over the past 10 years and with improved and mainstreamed marketing, the parade is now considered a huge annual event in Vancouver. Approximately 600,000 people were estimated to have watched and participated in the parade this year.

This was my first time participating in Vancouver Pride since I moved here.  Last year even though I was already living here, I ended up in Montreal since we had already planned the trip from Calgary before I even moved to Vancouver.  Therefore, this event held special significance for me, and the festivities did not disappoint!  It was such a fun weekend, I have problems(!) recalling everything I did as it seemed we were just moving from one event to the next all weekend.

My friend from Chicago spent a week staying with me and this added to the fun.  Some of the highlights of the weekend included the Telus Davie Street Pride Party on Friday evening leading to the Vancouver Men In Leather Tom of Finland Party at Numbers, the Frontrunners Pride Run in Stanley Park on Saturday morning, decorating the Cirque de So Gay float on Saturday afternoon, a BBQ and bar night on Saturday, dancing for hours on the float in the parade on Sunday morning followed by the Trouble T-Dance at J-Lounge in the afternoon, and the Classic Cruisey-T cruise on Monday.  Fun fun fun!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi Reid,Great pics,(though not sure about the glasses and the "cat in the hat"hat.lol).Its obvious you had a great time.I know what you mean about telling us all you did.When M and i returned from New York a couple of weeks ago I couldn't recall what we had done every day, we had done so much walking and shopping!I feel like we had seen just about every shop floor in the Big apple!lol.

regards Dx